Friday 8 February 2013

Watch your words and your tone...young mom!

I got to watch my words and how I say them. 

It has been two and half years since Christian's diagnosis and I am still learning and I will continue to learn and grow until the day I take my last breath. 

I would never claim to be an expert on high functioning autism, I can only go with my limited experience with Christian because he is the only one I know and understand. 

The only one I can know. 

Each individual is unique, no one should be painted the same.

I could not agree more.

Now that I know the reason for my child's behaviour, I can accept and understand a little better and know how to cope with those behaviours. 

However, in my quest to be the all understanding mom, well versed in Christian's needs as a person with autism, I forget that I am also human.

I forget that sometimes that he misunderstands facial expressions, tone of voice and words. 

I learned this lesson the hard way yesterday morning.

As I waited for Christian's taxi to arrive to take him to school, a school bus stopped in front of our house  and I made the comment as I looked down at my three year old, "Boy Brandon, I cannot wait for you to get old enough so I can throw you in school!"
This was meant to be a joke because Brandon was being a normal three year old running around, tormenting Christian and screaming at the top of his lungs.
However, Christian did not interpret my comment as a joke.

Instead, he broke down crying.

At first I was confused why Christian would be crying, but it became clear when he asked through his tears why I would be so mean as to want to hurt his brother like that by throwing him in the school? He could break an arm, a leg or hurt his head. 

Oops.

Christian took my words literally, instead of figuratively, believing that I was going to pick Brandon up and throw him in the school!!

It took a while to calm Christian down so I could explain what I meant by "throwing Brandon in school" 
This is an expression that I heard many times growing up in my family, it means that I was wishing that Brandon was old enough to go to school. 

This explanation will take a while for him to absorb, as with  most information, Christian needs time to process so he can understand. 

Needless to say, this was a hard lesson to learn, like many previous. 

I have to tell you about those some other time. 

Now, if you excuse me, I better go, Brandon is yelling "The taxi is here!" 
I have to see that Christian gets "thrown" in school promptly and safely. 

Much love
Tina 

No comments:

Post a Comment